Thursday 1 May 2008

Shobogenzo

The Shobogenzo is one of the most important writings in Zen Buddhism, done by Zen Master Dogen in the 13th century. This translation by Nishijima Roshi has been praised often for being very accurat and meaningful. I started reading in it - understanding just very small parts (at least I think that I got some points), in fact I'm convinced that the only way to understand more is to actually practice Zazen. I am sure that the Shobogenzo will accompany me for the rest of my life, and I am happy about this. In my opinion a must-buy for everybody wholeheartedly interested in Zen.


This translation, supported by the Japan Foundation, makes a strong claim to be the definitive translation of the 95 chapter edition of Shobogenzo, the essential Japanese Buddhist text, written in the 13th century by Zen Master Dogen. Following Shobogenzo Books 1 and 2, the third book in this four-volume set contains chapters 42 to 72 from the 95-chapter edition, including: Tsuki (The Moon); Kuge (Flowers in Space); Mujo Seppo (All Things and Phenomena Preach Dharma); Kajo (Daily Life); and Zanmai-O-Zanmai (Samadhi, King of Samadhis). Book 3 maintains the highest standards of translation, with a clear style that rigorously follows the original words of Master Dogen. 'The first Patriarch, the Venerable Bodhidharma, after arriving from the west, passed nine years facing the wall at Shorin-ji temple on Shoshitsu-ho peak in the Sugaku mountains, sitting in Zazen in the lotus posture. From that time through to today, brains and eyes have pervaded China. The lifeblood of the first Patriarch is only the practice of sitting in the full lotus posture.'




publisher:
angkor (german), book surge (english)
r
*


No comments: